Wednesday, February 1, 2017

My First Attempt at a Recipe from 'Street Vegan'

Because this looked like the most simple recipe, and because it contains pine nuts, I decided that a 'Street Vegan' novice, like me would do well to start with this..... and the thought of a vegan cookie made with pine nuts was intriguing, I love pine nuts, and I figured that the baking would give the pine nuts the toasty flavor that only toasted pine nuts can have. I think it would have happened, but I made a substitution that change the whole composition of the cookie dough, so the cookies started to burn on the bottom, so I had to take them out 10 minutes early. I used coconut oil instead of vegan margarine because the only vegan margarines I can find contains palm oil.... because I don't like to read about cruelty to animals, I only know that palm oil somehow hurts orangutans, so I will not use anything containing palm oil. My other substitution was unbleached sugar instead of evaporated cane juice because I don't know where to get evaporated cane juice. I could not find any at the place I order food online.... and I already had to order the vegan powdered sugar. The cookies turned out alright, in spite of my having to take them out 10 minutes early (due to my substitution of coconut oil for the vegan margarine). I did not roll them into perfect balls because I just don't do things like that. Anyway, here they are. All in all, I recommend the recipe.... and my husband loves the cookies I made..... I'd recommend that a person find a vegan margerine that does not contain palm oil, because one will run into an issue of the cookies burning at the bottom if one uses coconut oil.... it is a different composition for baking.... baking is more of an excacting science than cooking... I'm definitely better at cooking:



For great adventures in vegan cooking, I recommend 'Street Vegan'. One thing I have to tell you is that there`are some ingredients that are exotic and/or hard to find. One example is umeboshi plum vinegar.... it is somewhat of a pantry staple for 'Street Vegan', though it sounds as though a little goes a long way. Another example is truffle oil. It is not in many recipes.... only one that I have seen, but I went ahead and ordered the same brand that the author recommended on a footnote of a recipe. Here's a link for anyone that would like to order 'Street Vegan'

No comments:

Post a Comment